Saturday, April 23, 2016

Some Climate Change Orgaizations in Health Care


            Ever since I was a little boy I have wanted to be a physician. I remember those times when I thought some other occupation might be for me, but when I tried to prove to myself that was the way, it always failed and the only thing I could see in my future was medicine. One might think that because of all the experiences that I have had with medicine, it might have scared me away, yet that would be false. It really only strengthened my bond of becoming a doctor, so that I could one day help those in need.

            When it comes to medicine, many doctors and scientist are firm believers in that climate change is occurring and that it needs to be taken care of. I want to talk briefly about some of the organizations in health care that are currently taking strides in the climate change movement.

            First, let’s start off with HealthCare Without Harm. This organization is tackling a vast array of issues that climate change is effecting. This organization is pushing for many changes in a variety of topics. Some of these topics being, the carbon footprint of society (like hospitals), treating aliments that climate change now causes, dealing with medical waste/supplies, sustainable energy/buildings, and also sustainable ways of producing food. This organization is doing its best in participate in a wide variety of issues and being a positive advocate for the necessary changes that that need to be made, not only in the medical field but in the world.

            The next organization I want to address is the US Climate and Health Alliance. This organization strives to help educate the U.S. population on the importance of reducing greenhouse gases and the health benefits of doing that. They promote sustainable measures for all aspects of healthcare, and are always trying to inform/educate medical professionals on new ways of creating more efficient facilities.

            The last organization I want to talk about is the American Public Health Association. The group has made the statement that climate change is happening. They are fully aware of the health related issues that come with climate change and are huge advocates for change. They push for legislation in our government and promote the Clean Power Plan, as well as the Paris agreement that was held this year. They also helped to create Climate for Health, which is a network of healthcare professionals/leaders that are promoting a cleaner, more green and efficient future for medicine.

            These are just a couple of the organizations that are promoting change in our climate for a better future. There a many more that one day I too hope to be a part of when I begin my career in medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment