Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Exposure


            Quite frankly I’m not the biggest fan of cli-fi types of books. Not only that, I’m not the biggest fan of fiction too. Though this book drew me in simply by its name, Exposure. I thought for a moment that this could be a fictional book about exposing some of the hidden truths about climate change in the future and what wasn’t expressed to the public until the climate was changed permanently. Though I was completely wrong.

            The book actually seems to be about contradicting the idea of climate change. The main character is a scientist who is on the road to expose the “truths” or what he considers the flaws that arise from renewable energy sources. In this altered future, energy has been changed to more reliable sources and has pushed out fossil fuels. With fossil fuels being removed from society, the economy moves in a different direction. This scientist is out to prove that the claims about climate change are false and because of that society suffers greatly from the altered economy. With knowing this information, he is constantly trying to evade terrorist/criminal elements that are trying to stop him from revealing the truths behind climate change.

            Up to this point, I am not that far into the story, but I find it interesting because it takes a whole new way of looking at climate change. Even though it is fiction, and as a class we have learned that climate change is a real entity in our lives, it strikes my interests in seeing a story made up to see the other side of climate change.

            The author of this book, Dr. Rex Fleming, is scientist with a Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science from the University of Michigan. He is also a mathematician, with 45 years’ experience in government and industry that dealt with weather/climate research.

10 comments:

  1. I, too, have also enjoyed exploring another perspective on issues, and climate change is certainly one of them. Sometimes, it is nice to go into reading a book knowing just the basics and the title, since you never know what your'e going to get from it. I suppose that Dr. Fleming is in the minority for being an expert in Atmospheric Science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that your book so deeply discusses the climate denial that has been so rampant as this science evolves. Hopefully we will look a little bit more deeply into what drives climate deniers in class. There's two sides to this so called "debate" and I am interested in learning what drives people to deny what is unanimously accepted science.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an interesting take on this issue and seems to come from a completely different place than everything we've read. It would be interesting to see how the other side justifies their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like it would make a good read, even if it does stray from what we typically believe to be true. Hopefully no one who reads it takes it too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds very interesting just on the fact that the author does not take the routine path of agreeing with climate change. Although I disagree with him, I do think opposing arguments are important in order to keep each side working towards proving their point even more. The book I read earlier in the year covered the economies role in our future as far as changing it for climate change goes, so I'm curious to see what type of economy the author of your book chose to give to the country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting to think that the author is an Atmospheric Scientist, but he writes about climate change denial. I would be interested to know if the author actually believes the things he wrote about in the book, or if he wrote it as somewhat of a mockery towards "nonbelievers." To me, it seems as if it would be hard to be an Atmospheric Scientist and not believe in global warming and climate change, only because you would most likely research the ozone and the effect of chloroflourocarbons and greenhouses gases, but maybe I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like since this class has started I have been so caught up in climate change and the belief of it. I realize that people are entitled to their own opinions but I have to admit that I do get annoyed with people who deny it. If there are so many real facts, how could the possibly not believe it? I really need to take a step back and listen to what they have to say, even if I don't agree with it. I feel like this novel, being fictional and easier to detach my emotions from would help me to do this more so than reading what deniers really believe in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting to see what is essentially a role reversal of what is happening today in this novel. I wonder if the author draws any parallels between the main characters struggle versus people who are trying to get the changes in the novel made today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that with the removal of fossil fuels, the economy will shift. I wonder if this book has a bias. I am really interested to know more about what he says on climate change and what he believes to be the right "solutions". We are on the brink of extinction. Renewable sources or not, we still have to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it makes sense that we look at a climate change denier novel -- in that I agree with many of the comments above on this topic. When Harriet Beecher Stower wrote her novel denouncing slavery (Uncle Tom's Cabin) there were other writers who wrote novels in favor of slavery! (For example, The Planters Northern Bride.) Talk about being on the wrong side of history and morality!

    ReplyDelete